Home football the top / flop of Rennes’ defeat at Reims (3-1)

the top / flop of Rennes’ defeat at Reims (3-1)

by admin

Overwhelmed by the ardor of the opposing attackers, Stade Rennais was defeated (3-1) this Thursday evening on the lawn of the Stade de Reims. Despite this surprise setback, Bruno Génésio’s players temporarily retain their place on the Ligue 1 podium pending Marseille’s result against Toulouse.

A totally failed start to the match

Like FC Lorient a little earlier in the evening, Stade Rennais was trapped from the start by the Rémois. Driven on the offensive, the locals quickly managed to open the scoring through the inevitable Folarin Balogun (1-0, 5th). Head in the bucket, Bruno Génésio’s men continued to suffer, not knowing how to react. And even if they created a few opportunities, it was the Champenois who doubled the bet after a superb volley in the area of ​​Alexis Flips (2-0, 22nd). A reaction was then expected from Hamari Traoré’s partners.

The Stade Rennais defense in great difficulty

In addition to the three goals conceded, the Breton rearguard who was nevertheless one of the best in Ligue 1 before the meeting took the broth against the opposing attackers. Regularly launched deep by their partners, Folarin Balogun and Junya Ito easily pierced the Rennes team and very often found themselves in a striking position. A match that will therefore be quickly forgotten for the Breton defense and especially for Warmed Omari who was making his comeback to competition against Reims.

A gag goal to seal the outcome of the match

While Rennes were only one goal behind in the second half and pushed to come back to score, the locals came to bury all the hopes of Brittany. Steve Mandanda, who had been performing quite well until then, unfortunately missed one of his outings. His clearance went to rebound on Warmed Omari before landing on the head of Folarin Balogun who offered himself a double (3-1, 83rd) to definitively put the Stade de Reims in the shelter.

Theate gives hope before the break

As half-time approached, the Bretilliens suffered again and again the sharp attacks of the locals who could have widened the gap by scoring a third goal. But following a corner hit at the near post and deflected by Martin Terrier, Arthur Theate pushed the ball into the back of the net (2-1, 45+1). While he was in great difficulty defensively, the Belgian international thus allowed Stade Rennais to revive at the best of times, but this goal ultimately did not change anything.

Related News

Leave a Comment